Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Relax, Relate, Release!

April is coming to an end however, I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that April is National Stress Awareness month.  Every year during the month of April, health care professionals, wellness professionals, and health promotion experts across the country joined forces to increase public awareness about both the causes and cures for an epidemic plaguing many today.  Stress is something that affects everyone, young and old, rich and poor, educated and ignorant.  It does not discriminate.

Millions of Americans die of stress-related illnesses: Heart disease, strokes, and many other chronic diseases may be caused by stress.  Let's also consider the damage done by smoking, alcohol consumption, overeating, and drugs--all often used to help cope with stress.....it's not hard to conclude that stress is a major epidemic with insurmountable consequences.

As, a single mother who works a full time job and runs an at home business, it has become imperative to my well-being that I take time out routinely to de-stress. 

Prayer, meditation, hot bubble bath, aroma therapy, massages, yoga, workouts....There are so many ways to release stress in your life.  Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't also add, there are ways we can also prevent a lot of additional stress in our lives (I'll save that for a future blog).  In the event your stress is being caused by deeper issues, therapy or counseling are always helpful.  Getting to the root of an issue will often alleviate much of the "stress" that surrounds it.

Watch this video of Debbie Siebers with one suggestion for releasing stress. 



Practical Application:   Find some time this week to give yourself 20 mins to de-stress.

Do you have a particular way you release stress?  Please leave a comment below & share it, I'd love to hear it.

Stay Healthy,

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for a good time visiting your web blog. I am highly pleased and right now an aficionado. Cheers!

    Wellness Coaching

    ReplyDelete